Breakfasts in our home growing up was always a big breakfast. Nothing less!
And typically it would include a delicious variety of Filipino dishes that, to this day, can not be replaced.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my pancakes and bacon and eggs but give me a bowl of garlic rice with longanisa or tocino and a side of eggs and tomatoes and I’m in breakfast heaven.
One of the dishes I loved and my family now loves is tocino.
Tocino is a sweetened meat based on chicken or pork, it is originally marinated and cured for several days before boiling or pan-frying. Its name is derived from the Spanish word tocino (tow-see-no), which is used to describe bacon or cured meat.
It is usually served with garlic rice, egg and tomatoes.
Yum — I’m so hungry now thinking about it!
Admittedly, I didn’t usually make them from scratch because, well quite frankly, buying them from the Asian grocers frozen is just as good and not to mention quick and convenient for me.
My mom shared her recipe for Chicken Tocino with me that would not take days to marinate and wouldn’t be so taxing or require so many ingredients and I didn’t realize how ridiculously easy it was.
I will only be making them like this for now on versus buying the pre-made variety. It tastes absolutely delicious and my kids gobble it up and always ask for more.
I hope you enjoy!
- - 2 lbs of Chicken thighs (cut into chunks)
- - Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- - 1/4 cup of 7Up (my mom swears buy it!)
- - 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- - 2 tsp Achuete / Annatto Powder (for colouring - You can even use some red food colouring instead)
- - 1 tsp salt
- - 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- - 1/2 tsp Paprika Powder
- - 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- - 3 tsp Brown Sugar
- - Cooking oil
- 1) Marinate the chicken in a bowl with lemon juice, 7Up and soy sauce.
- 2) Add the black pepper powder, salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika powder and Annatto powder to the bowl and combine together.
- 3) Cover and Marinate for 30 minutes, or overnight, in the refrigerator
- 4) Heat a frying pan on medium heat, add the oil and pan fry the chicken with its marinade and flip often
- 5) When almost cooked, lower heat until the chicken is nicely browned and serve