In an ideal world, my children would eat everything I set in front of them at the dinner table. Vegetables — aah the dreaded “V-word” — is a big challenge with my 5 year old. Even the slightest colour of green he sees anywhere on his plate will be cause for complaint and will have me remove it before it touches his mouth.
Thankfully, my kitchen is blessed with very handy sidekick, my beloved food processor, that magically twirls its lustrous hands and creates a pile of indistinguishable mash that soon turns into something delectable (including vegetables and legumes bleary to even the most eagle-eyed).
One dish I like to whip up are chickpea and corn fritters and my kids just LOVE them! I make a ton of them and bring them along on the road as well with jarred tzatziki sauce for my kids to enjoy. They taste great even after a few days, refrigerated. If you have an oven handy, simply bake until they get a little crispy again and serve.
You can add your own variety of seasonings and use your own choice dip but we much prefer the tzatziki sauce with these fritters. I also sometimes shred some zucchini and add that into this recipe as well. Okay, so it’s fried and that takes down the healthiness quotient down a notch but it tastes amazing and loaded with some of the good stuff, so no complaints, right? 🙂
Here’s a tip: I sometimes find fresh, pre-made chickpea and corn salad at my local grocers and use that as a shortcut. All you need to do is pulse in food processor and add the spices (and cilantro if it’s not already included and if you like the taste of it) and proceed with creating batter.
I hope you enjoy these as much as my kids do!
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons scallions (finely sliced)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 15 oz can corn
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1) In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, scallions and cilantro into a paste. Add the spices, baking powder, flour, egg, salt, lemon juice and water. Process the mixture until smooth. Fold in the corn and set mixture aside.
- 2) Add the oil to a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Once the oil is at least 350 degrees Celsius, drop large spoonfuls of the fritter mixture onto the skillet, one at a time, and press to form round patties. Cook until golden-brown on both sides, turning once with a spatula (about 3 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate and serve with tzatziki sauce.