If this weekends ice storm wreaked havoc in your part of town as it did mine, travelling anywhere was near impossible (and quite dangerous!).
With this type of iced-on weather, we had to make do with whatever we had available in the kitchen for now and ended up with something absolutely delicious and super easy to make.
My kids love meatballs and also enjoy helping me roll them so this made for a fun and tasty activity.
With just a few simple ingredients and a yummy sauce, these Chinese-style meatballs can be easily cooked in a wok. Enjoy with a bowl of rice and veggies for a filling and scrumptious meal.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 pinches ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1) In a large bowl, combine the pork, cornstarch, ginger,garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, five-spice powder, and pepper, and mix well.
- 2) Roll 1 heaping tablespoon of pork mixture into a ball and continue until all the pork mixture is used.
- 3) In a wok over medium heat, heat the peanut oil. Using a wok spatula, spread the oil to coat enough of the wok surface to fry about 10 meatballs at a time. Lower the meatballs into the wok in batches.
- 4) Cook without moving for about 2 minutes, or until the bottoms are cooked through.
- Use the spatula to carefully rotate the meatballs to cook on the other sides.
- Keep rotating the meatballs gently until cooked through.
- For a tasty dipping sauce, combine equal parts low-sodium soy sauce and honey with a bit of sriracha sauce.
- Pair with white rice for a filling meal.