The flu virus has hit our household hard and I’ve just about had it with this germ infestation.
Demands of my time are obviously a lot higher and it just so happens my work and writing schedule has gone slightly in the orange zone. The orange zone is what I call the place where you’re cutting it dangerously close to your due date.
Being a Type-A perfectionist, I do not like being in the orange zone. In fact, I am rarely ever in the “orange zone”.
So, I am taking it one step at a time as my family (me included) bounce back to better health and taking deep breaths in between.
I could also use some wine. And cheese. Lots of delicious cheese. Because I just can’t think of a more perfect pairing.
Staring blankly and maybe slightly panicky at my wine cabinet and realizing I am out of wine (how am I out of wine?!), I call the mister to make a quick pit-stop at LCBO on his way home from work.
Moms know that a wine and good chocolate stash are must-haves in their home.
And fantastic news! It just so happens that throughout December, LCBO customers can get $1 off any Mozzarellissima product by purchasing bottles of Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio or Leonardo Chianti with special tags.
Oh yes, my wine palate was thirsting for some good ol’ Pinot Grigio.
A delicious cheese brand that I’ve come to love, especially for creating gooey pizzas and topping my loaded nachos is Mozzarellissima, a stretch mozzarella, known for its buttery taste and superior melting quality.
That’s why they’ve paired up with LCBO to offer customers recipe inspiration and savings on their next block of Mozzarellissima.
As I’m cutting small blocks of Mozzarellissima, I thought I needed a little more to celebrate the fact that I can actually taste food now (I like to celebrate victories – big or small).
I pulled out a package of puff pastry (2 sheets inside), 1 avocado, 1/2 a lime and an egg and started creating something magical.
Magical because it only required these minor ingredients AND it took very little time for me to create.
1) Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a bowl mix the mashed avocado with the lime juice and add freshly ground pepper.
3) Roll out the puff pastry sheets so that they are about 12″ x 16″. Using a 2 inch round cookie cutter cut 12 circles in each sheet, making about 24 total circles. (I may have drank more wine than I should have at this point because my circles weren’t really circles…)
4) Use 12 circles for the bottom and 12 for the top. Brush a bit of the egg wash on the edge of each circle, for the first 12 only. Top 12 circles with a dollop of avocado, a piece of mozzarella cheese, and about a tsp of salsa.
5) Take the other 12 circles of puff pastry and place on top of the ones with the filling and stretch them if needed to completely cover the bottom circle. Using a fork seal the edge of each circle. Brush with egg wash.
6) Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden.
7) Serve with additional salsa if desired.
Enjoy! And don’t forget the wine!