For the past couple of weeks I have been juicing, juicing, and juicing some more. Can you guess I bought a juicer and completely love it? It’s time to get some Spring cleaning going on inside my body, boost my energy and just feel so much better and lighter. The only way to feel that way is by what you consume.
Many of you already know how much of a foodie I am — I love food of all kinds and absolutely do not mind indulging in a little greasy comfort food every now and then but with the warmer weather comes a craving for more lighter dishes. And what better way to enjoy them but outside on the patio?
I admit, I was not a fan of cottage cheese before. But a lot has changed in my taste palette throughout the years and I have learned that cottage cheese holds some amazing health benefits especially for those looking to lose some weight and for those that are weight-training.
Since cottage cheese is high in casein protein it is the perfect food to consume before bed. Casein digests more slowly than other types of protein and hence can supply the muscles with a steady stream of amino acids while the body is alseep.
I like to use cottage cheese packed in a container with some fruits as a portable snack to bring with me on days when I know I’ll have to go a long time between meals.
Here are a couple of my favourite Cottage Cheese Recipes that I usually like to offer my guests most often during the warmer months on the Patio using my favourite cottage cheese from Gay Lea Foods, Nordica 1% Cottage Cheese.
The first recipe is for Cottage Cheese Fruit Salad. This is a light and refreshing dessert that you don’t have to feel guilty about and what’s great is that the kids love it!
- 1 (16 ounce) container Gay Lea Nordica 1% Cottage Cheese (or you can use 2% if you prefer)
- 1 (3 ounce) box Jello gelatin, any flavour you like (we love Strawberry or Orange)
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (15 ounce) can fruit cocktail drained
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1) Mix together cottage cheese and dry jello.
- 2) Add the Cool Whip and mix thoroughly.
- 3) Add fruit cocktail and nuts (if desired) and mix.
- 4) Chill for at least 3 hours with saran wrap covering the top of the bowl before serving.
This dip is full of protein yet tastes creamy and delicious and nobody will know it’s healthy.
Serve with your favourite dip chip, crackers or veggies.
- 1 (16-oz) container Gay Lea Nordica 1% cottage cheese
- 1 (4-oz) can green chilies, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- dash of tabasco or sriracha sauce for bite (you may omit this)
- Throw everything into a bowl and stir together.
- Serve with chips, crackers, veggies or even just eat on it's own!
To learn more about Gay Lea Foods and their line-up of products, visit them at http://www.gaylea.com.