I love to cook and when a few of my friends found out that I never owned a slow-cooker, there was some disbelief. What? It’s every mom’s best friend! Why does everyone keep saying that? Is it really that awesome?
When I received a brand new Smart Pot Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker to review, you would have thought I received a pair of new louboutins — I was thrilled and ready to start slow-cooking! I wouldn’t have picked any other to try out but the veteran of slow-cookers, the original Crock-Pot®.
One of the dishes that my family enjoys on Sunday’s and especially perfect for cold, winter months is a nice juicy roast beef. As you know, in order for beef to be perfectly cooked and tender, it must be cooked at a low-medium heat for a very long time. This was the perfect dish to try out as my first official Crock-pot meal! My family loves this recipe that I have been making the old-fashioned way for the longest time; I was keen to see how making this in a slow-cooker would differ.
I love how easy this Crock-Pot is to use. It offers basic yet adequate settings: High on either 4 or 6 hours or Low on either 8 or 10 hours and the warming button. Once your dish is cooked according to the amount of hours you selected, it automatically switches to the warming button which I love.
Another great feature is it comes with the removable stoneware that easily comes out and ready to serve plus it’s super easy to clean with the stick-resisting coating. I am in love! And I finally understand why everyone tells me it’s a must-have! This Smart Pot Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker is a winner.
The roast beef turned out so tender after cooking for 8-9 hours on low that it just fell apart with a slight touch of the fork. Blended with the gravy and veggies (I found the veggies didn’t even get soggy – perfectly cooked!) and mashed potatoes and you’ve got a dish that will be sure to satisfy the pickiest eater! Bon appétit!
To learn more about Crock-Pot®, visit them at http://www.crock-pot.ca. You can also visit them on Facebook here.
- 3 lbs of Sirloin Tip Beef Roast, 1 Envelope of Dry Onion Soup Mix, 1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup, 1/2 Cup Water, Baby Carrots, 2 Potatoes cut into big chunks, pepper to taste
- - Brown meat in canola oil on both sides
- - Sprinkle with pepper and then place in Crock-Pot
- - Add the onion soup mix on top, then add the mushroom soup
- - Add the water to the pan you browned the meat in and use a whisk to get up all the drippings
- - Add the baby carrots and potatoes
- - Pour over the top of everything in the crock pot
- - Cook on Low for 8-10 hours (or you can do High for 4-5 hours, but low I find gives the best results)