I love a beautiful designer product — the quality and design is art and lasts you forever because they are just classic pieces that never go out of style.
These are items that represent true craftsmanship.
But I know that they also come with a hefty price tag and frankly, I cannot afford to shell out hundreds to thousands of dollars for a new bag or piece of jewellery.
Even if I could, it’s just not practical, especially being a mother that prides myself on being smart and savvy when it comes to my hard-earned money.
Those near and dear to me know that although I don’t splurge often, I also treasure a gorgeous designer piece and treat myself to a beautiful new bag or jewellery for a job well done or on a special occasion.
Have I been tempted to subject myself to purchasing a *clears my throat* “triple-A” knock-off before? Why yes, yes I have.
I want that designer item I covet so, but I just can’t splurge my family’s money on it.
But before you head over to that shady shop somewhere in a strip mall or touch base with that friend of a friend of a friend that sells “almost-designer” knock-offs, STOP.
What if I told you that you can get that gorgeous Chanel Matelasse Chain Shoulder Bag or Cartier Love Ring you’ve always wanted for half the price, sometimes even more!
Yes ladies, we can have both fashion and affordability.
Introducing FIFTH &.
Inspired by Manhattan’s Fifth Ave, FIFTH & prides themselves on bringing you the brands without breaking the bank. I like the sound of that!
Resale designer shopping, once considered déclassé and kept hush-hush is now chic and done in the open. Why? Because it’s a darn good idea.
At FIFTH & all of their brand name merchandise is guaranteed 100% authentic.
They include all original packaging with serial numbers and/or certificates of authenticity whenever they can.
All of the merchandise sold on FifthAnd.com is sourced from authorized suppliers and distributors who are routinely screened to ensure they meet the most rigorous standards.
Simply open an account on FifthAnd.com, browse and choose which items you love (they even do custom engagement rings!) and then you’re ready to check-out!
You can see how much you’re saving on each item plus tons of hi-res images and detailed notes to let know the true condition and quality of the item.
So what if you spot a great deal out there on what you think is an authentic designer item and get ready to shell out your money not realizing it is, in fact, a fake. Gasp!
I had the opportunity to do a Q&A and learn more plus get some great tips from the owner of FIFTH &.
1) What is the simplest way for you to spot a fake designer item? Any tips and tricks?
- You would be surprised at the details that get missed in fake designer goods.
Many times the name of the brand is spelled incorrectly or the logo is upside down or in the wrong place on the product.
- On any garment or product, the hardware and zippers are typically the materials that cost manufacturers the most. Look closely at the hardware; does it look solid or hollow? Is there supposed to be an imprint or logo on the hardware?
- The stitching is also a big telltale sign. If the stitching is crooked or there is unnecessary double stitching, the item is likely fake. Luxury good makers pride themselves on perfection, so any manufacturing imperfections in the structure of the product are a warning sign.
- If you are shopping online, is there more than one photo? Typically resale sites will always show you exactly what you’re getting and will note any imperfections of the product. FifthAnd.com for example has a rating for each of their product which tells you what condition the product is in and will specify if there are any signs of wear on the product.
- Can you return the item? While some resale sites don’t let you return the item, FifthAnd.com accepts returns on all items within 10 days of shipment, unless otherwise stated.
2) How do you find all the amazing pre-owned products to sell on FIFTH &?
Our team works around the clock, visiting trade shows, buying from liquidation close outs and attending auctions worldwide to bring our consumers the wide selection of designer brand name goods you see on our site. Many consumers also tend to trade in or sell their vintage pieces to us.
3) What does FIFTH & stand for?
FIFTH & was inspired by the famous Fifth Ave in Manhattan, NY. The street has long been associated with high fashion and great brands. Since the street is so long and intersects so many different streets we thought we’d leave it open ended: FIFTH &
4) Why do you think it’s important to buy designer and avoid knock-offs?
Most don’t think about the ramifications of counterfeiting when they spot what looks to be a good deal.
The truth is counterfeiting affects everyone.
Governments, businesses and society lose valuable tax revenue, business income and jobs.
Not only do you get a deal when resale shopping, it’s also one of the most eco-friendly ways to shop.
You can feel good about purchasing resale goods.
5) Who are the hottest selling designers right now and why?
Some of our hottest selling brands are Hermes, Cartier, Louis Vuitton and Chanel.
I think the reason for this can vary, but I feel that they’ve really established a name for themselves with consistently great and unique designs that consumers really respond to.
We can go on and on about the quality and their craftsmanship, and while it’s all true, these specific designers have been responsible for creating some of the most iconic pieces in the history of fashion.
6) If you had to choose only one favourite designer item currently selling or had been sold on FIFTH &, which one is it?
I think the Hermes Birkins we sell are some of the most sought out pieces in the industry.
You have to be put on a waiting list just to get your hands on a new one!
This says a lot about what this bag is really all about and what it represents.
7) Who is the FIFTH & Shopper?
Moms like you! Busy stylish moms like you who want the best but are smart about where they put there dollars.
Moms know good quality brands and they are savvy shoppers which make them love shopping FifthAnd.com.
In second, are men looking for engagement rings (surprising right!?). They want to impress the woman they love (and make sure she says yes).
Our jewellery department at FifthAnd.com can actually customize rings, so guys love that they can make the ring extra special.
8) Do you have any plans on expanding and possibly opening a storefront?
Yes. We want to expand to a storefront in the near future.
With the kinds of items we sell, it’s always a good idea to have a place where people can go in and view the items and try them on before they purchase it.
We realize the importance of this so it is definitely on our minds.
SO, the last question I have to all my stylish, savvy and “au courant” ladies is: Who’s ready to go shopping?
To learn more about FIFTH &, visit them online at http://www.FifthAnd.com.
Find them on Facebook and Twitter @FIFTH_AND.