It’s National Chocolate Mint Day!
I honestly had no clue until I saw it all over Facebook.
Although I have zero time to whip something up today, I’m definitely going to be hitting the baking sheets this weekend with this scrumptious recipe.
Feel less guilty with some Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies (and your kids won’t even know it’s whole wheat! Double score!)
I love cookies, I love chocolate and the chocolate and mint combo is always a delight to my senses!
|Photo and Recipe courtesy of Food Doodles.|
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- ¾ C softened salted butter
- 1½ C of brown sugar
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 C white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 C mint chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the extracts and eggs and beat well.
- In a separate bowl mix the cocoa powder with the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls 2″ apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Place baking sheets in the fridge and chill 45 minutes – 1 hour until the dough is completely chilled.
- Place chilled dough in the oven and bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms look slightly darker.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a baking sheet to cool completely.